Family photos can be a challenge but not if you know a set of techniques to follow. Here's some tips that can simply your work if you practice them.
1. Young children can be a hand full if they aren't well rested. If they've had a good nights sleep or a nap, they'll be in a better mood. This in itself can assure a smoother shoot and help keep everyone at ease.
2. As discussed before, outdoor portraits offer the simplest light to work with. Mornings and dusk providing the purest most diffuse light of the day. But you must remain FLEXIBLE and pre-plan it.
3. We offer a great variety of photo reflectors and photo diffusers that will help sculpt your portraits. They come in many sizes and styles and can be mounted on stands or held by assistants. When used properly, they will prevent over contrast areas or fill-in dark shadows under eyes, chins and other areas in the frame.
4. Like any other portrait session you do, design a series of photo packages with albums or frames for customers to choose from. Family portraits is one area that can generate large wall framed work. There are so many options but I recommend you use items that best fits your brand and style. Consider pricing your packages so the ones in the middle will be your best profit margin packages! This is a very effective practice that works.
5. Unless you're portraits are at a formal event, when it comes to what to wear, casual dress is usually best. Make sure your groups are not all dressed the same. That style has come and gone. Suggest everyone wear clothes that work together but not all identical. And stress to your clients to wear little to no PATTERNS!
6. I'm sure you know lots of places to make outdoor portraits. Choose them wisely, and become aware of your background at different times of the day and the year. Only you know how your favorite spots will look for a particular group or portrait! Make sure there's no surprises the day of the shoot with the sun or stray groups during your session. This could prevent a successful shoot that day and require an alternate date that can inconvenience everybody!
Together with a better understanding of your DSLR camera functions and photo techniques, you will create cherished work for every family session. Please share any ideas or techniques you use and share your photo examples for a free Stylus Pen!